Books

A book is a friend for life. The words stay with you, even when you put the book down.

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Lent (or Giving Up What You Can't Live Without)

This year for Lent, I'm taking a huge leap of faith.

Yes, every year we practice the spiritual discipline of "giving up" something during Lent. And every year, I say, "I can't give up my Facebook! I need it!" Really?! Since when is Facebook something I can't live without?

At Senior MidWinter this past January, the kids listened to a great song, "Clear the Stage" by Jimmy Needham. Toward the end of the song, a refrain of sorts repeats the phrase, "Anything that comes before my God is an idol." And somehow those words finally got through.

I do NOT NEED Facebook -- or anything else, for that matter. My God will supply all my needs, according to His riches in glory. So, I can go through 40 day of Lent, focusing on God rather than the selfish things I think I "need".










I find the Lenten worship service of Ash Wednesday particularly meaningful. Maybe it's because it's quieter than most anything else we do in our church. Maybe it's just more centering. Whatever the case, last night's service was powerful, in a way I wasn't expecting.

We had usual youth group before the service. At the end of youth, right before heading into the sanctuary, we played a short video and then talked about Lent, including all the "giving up" ideas, but also how the Ash Wednesday service is different than a typical "church" service. The last thing I said to the kiddos before we walked down the hall toward the church was to "think holy thoughts". (I'm not sure what that meant, but I guess the kids did!)

We had 28 people at the service last night. 12 of those were kids. The youth walked in quietly, sat in their two rows, and whispered quietly as they looked over the bulletin. My heart was happy. They weren't misbehaving; they were acting like mini adults. (In fact, let's make this perfectly clear, they were quieter and sitting more still than many of the adults!)

There were a few announcements, then the whole room got quiet in anticipation of opening prayer by the pastor. The pastor hadn't gotten up yet, though; he seemed to be waiting for "something".

All of the sudden, two young voices from the back pew began singing. "Lord, prepare me / to be a Sanctuary / pure and holy / tried and true / with thanksgiving / I'll be a living / Sanctuary / for You"

That was a 2nd grader and a 7th grader.

It didn't take long for the rest of the youth to join in! And I've got to hand it to the adults, most of whom don't know the song, they joined in as best they could. It was all I could do to keep from breaking down in tears. Because, yep, that's what it is all about!

They got it. Some of the youngest present at the service got it. They understood what it means to "think holy thoughts". Certainly, out of the mouths of babes...

What a blessing! And what a challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment