Books

A book is a friend for life. The words stay with you, even when you put the book down.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Building Fences

I've been watching a homeowner in a neighboring town building a fence around his yard.

We drive by this particular suburban area every time we go to McDonald's or Sonic. So it's been interesting to watch the fence-building project.

Originally, the home had a typical contractor-constructed wood fence. I assume the homeowner was unsatisfied with the workmanship or the look of the fence. At any rate, soon the fence came down.

Thus began the never-ending fence-building project. Several large brick "posts" were built at intervals all along the yard edge. Then, a brick ledge appeared, followed by wooden fencing.

Still, the homeowner wasn't satisfied. The next time we drove into town, he was demolishing some of the brick pylons. Soon, only the corners of the yard had their brick structures still standing.

Now, the fence is completed (again). It is a wooden fence (much like the original fence) spaced between brick posts anchoring each corner.

Yes, it is a nice fence. Was it worth a year's work? I don't know.

This process got me to thinking about how many things in life that are perfectly fine the way they are. Yet somehow, I feel the need to change them. For change's sake, I suppose.

Guess I will have to keep this in mind next time I'm thinking of changing...

No comments:

Post a Comment