Books

A book is a friend for life. The words stay with you, even when you put the book down.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Blast from the Past

How amazing it is to discover "new" novels!

Did you know that the author of the Tarzan books, Edgar Rice Burroughs, was really a prolific science fiction writer? In fact, the majority of his body of work was sci-fi. How is it that I have never heard that before?

My husband got one of these books for me on the kindle: A Princess of Mars. It's the first book in a rather long series. This first installment was originally published in 1911. How different the world must have looked 100 years ago; and yet, many of his ideas (low gravity, teleportation, etc.) are still used in many modern series.



I bring this up because we recently went to see the movie John Carter. Incidently, this movie is based on the Princess of Mars series. Many people didn't know that. I think the movie might have been more appreciated if people had known. It kind of puts in in a new perspective to realize that the story playing out on the screen was originally envisioned a century ago!

I applaud free thinkers like Edgar Rice Burroughs. And, as always, I recommend reading the book before seeing the movie. (Insert Hunger Games reference here, for all those on the movie bandwagon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment