Books

A book is a friend for life. The words stay with you, even when you put the book down.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What a Book!

I just finished reading another one of those books that just makes me want to write about it!


It is The Apothecary by Maile Meloy. To be honest, I picked up this book to read because the cover was so enticingly odd. Even the back cover of the book tells you very little about the book. What a pleasant discovery this book has been!

It weaves together espionage, the atomic bomb's creation, and magic in a way that is totally unexpected. It begins much like any ordinary historical fiction for young people. "I was seven and living in Los Angeles when Japan surrendered at the end of World War II..." Ho hum. But the reader is quickly dumped out of her chair and into a strange world where magic is real, even if you don't believe in it, and spies are everywhere.

One of my favorite things about this book is that the magic seems so believable. It takes for granted that readers will just go along with the story. And it moves so quickly, who are we as readers to question this?

I also enjoyed how quickly the children are swept into the world of spies and undercover mishaps. Though the premise behind the story is a little far-fetched, with this mixing of magic and espionage, what could one expect?

My favorite scene from the book comes near the end, when an atomic bomb is detonated. It could be a textbook example of historical fiction from World War II -- except that the bomb's blast is intercepted and cancelled out by magic! And the description of what ensues is so vividly written that the reader isn't put out by it at all. I was so swept up in the story!

Brilliant work. I'm hoping this novel can be a bridge between those who love historical fiction and those who love fantasy. It worked for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment