Books

A book is a friend for life. The words stay with you, even when you put the book down.

Friday, January 15, 2010

There's No Place Like Home


Special mommy moment: watching The Wizard of Oz with my daughter and experiencing it new with her. I'm so glad she loves it! :) "There's no place like home!"

Now, as much as I have read in my life, you'd think I wouldn't continue to be surprised. But books still continue to surprise and delight me.

One aspect of reading that always amazes me is the repetition of themes. And honestly, no matter how much I have read, the "ah-ha" moment of finding a recurring theme continues to strike a poignant chord.

On my quest to read the Newbery books, I just finished Secret of the Andes. "Ho-hum," right? Wrong! There was so much beauty and just good "story" in this little book!!

And you may wonder where I'm going with all of this... The theme of "coming home"!!

The beauty of Secret of the Andes and The Wizard of Oz is in finding the place we are supposed to be, the place we can truly label "home". The delight of discovering we ARE where we are supposed to be.

Yes, I am where I am supposed to be. Cyril is home.

(Following are poignant quotes from Secret of the Andes that I simply must share.)

"Chuto sighed. 'Is your heart going back over the trail your feet have traveled?' he asked tiredly. Cusi shook his head. 'That way,' he said pointing on the way toward home. Chuto laughed, and his laughter held the precious tones of gladness."

"They walked along in silence, a comfortable silence. They were companions. Companions have no need for constant talking."

"'We are a family. We belong to one another and everything we have can be shared together.' Cusi stood still and tense. There was the answer! he had alsmot gone away, leaving all that mattered behind him."

"Before him lay the meadow of ychu grass and beyond it the little river and then the fields of corn. He, Keeper of the Fields, was home again."

No comments:

Post a Comment