Books

A book is a friend for life. The words stay with you, even when you put the book down.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Rant

I don't want to be too fussy. I love that kids come to the library. I love that they have access to books and magazines. I even love that they compete for AR points and work hard to achieve their reading goals.

But I do have one big issue. My biggest problem is that they are not respectful of the library. They constantly leave messes behind them. I'm not talking about one book put in backwards. That, I could handle.

No, I'm talking about books on the floor, stacks of books in the wrong area, left behind randomly. Books stuffed in wherever the child decided to stuff it in -- never mind that there wasn't room on that shelf, or that the cover was ripping, or pages getting crushed and mangled. I even find books in the CRACKS BETWEEN SHELVES! Really?

It must be terribly difficult to put something back in the same place where you found it. And honestly, most kids are not even in a big hurry to pick out books. They are just not concerned with treating the library respectfully.

I can understand the Kindergarten's trouble with this. I forgive them. They are little, and just learning, and for the most part, they do pretty well. The ones I do NOT pardon are the 2nd and 3rd graders.
They attack the library shelves like rabid wolves, push and shove to get to the "best" books, and leave a path of destruction behind that would embarrass an F5 tornado.

I have several shelves that I have completely taken all books off, replaced them in correct order -- and I still battle to get things back neatly! I have two shelves that I have given up on. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I organize and replace the books in the proper order.

I have tried speaking to their teachers about this. I have tried limiting the number of students in the library at a time. I have tried asking the teachers to come with their class. Even with my part-time assistant, the chaos is more than I can handle!

I will be relieved when the year is over and I can put everything back to rights. But what can be done about next year? Somehow, they must learn to take care of the library and library books! I will have to get some good ideas over the summer if I'm going to get through next year!

Hmm, so what library book goes with this conundrum? Maybe Twister on Tuesday by Mary Pope Osborne. It's part of the fabulous Magic Tree House series, and deals with tornadoes and books! And, incidently, is also on the reading level of my frequent-shelf-offenders!

No comments:

Post a Comment