Books

A book is a friend for life. The words stay with you, even when you put the book down.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sincerest Form of Flattery

Most of the time, I read primarily literature for young people. Lately, though, I've been enjoying the public library and their inexhaustible supply of "real" literature.

By chance, I picked up a novel by a great author that I must share with the world! Melissa Nathan writes superb novels based in modern London. However, she creatively wraps them around the classic stories of Jane Austen.

For example, Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field is about a journalist in London who oddly gets chosen to act in a play based on Pride and Prejudice. The amazing part of the book is that it follows the plot (twists and characterizations, all) of Austen's original P&P! Once I started looking for similarities, Nathan had placed them everywhere! From the description of Jasmin's best friend and flatmate to the somewhat flat description of Jasmin's parents, Nathan has mirrored Austen in a fresh retelling of the original.


I've read one other of Nathan's novels, but it wasn't so blatant to me what she was doing with the novel. I'll have to reread it, to see which Austen classic she used for it. And she has four novels, I believe, so I'll have to see what she's done with each.

Jasmin Field admits that Jane Austen is one of Britain's favorite authors, and if "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", then Austen is indeed well loved.

By the way, I absolutely LOVE that the author included a reference to Anne of Green Gables! Creative genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment