Books

A book is a friend for life. The words stay with you, even when you put the book down.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Honoring the Dragon Lady

I learned today of the death of one of my favorite authors, Anne McCaffrey.

Anne was a prolific writer, my favorites being the Dragonriders series. I think I've read everything she ever wrote, and many of the things she wrote collaboratively with her son and other scifi authors.

She wrote the first dragon book in the late '60s, and my dad read many of her books before I ever came along. When I was in 9th grade, dad handed me his worn copy of Dragonflight. I was hooked. Her strong female lead and gripping stories have led me to gobble up every book in the dragon series ever since.

My husband and I named our son after one of her characters, much because we were inspired by the character's story. The neatest moment was receiving a personal email from Anne after telling her we'd named our son after the character. She was very personable -- for one so famous, she took the time to write a personal note.

So, we are mourning Anne's passing, but also looking forward to her final book -- due out next year.

(We also heard they are making a movie... we won't hold our breath on that, however...)

No comments:

Post a Comment