Books

A book is a friend for life. The words stay with you, even when you put the book down.

Friday, November 11, 2011

The Library, My Hope

I was thinking about writing a post about my busy daughter today. You know, the fact that she played a basketball game then turned around and spent the evening in dance class. But her active life led me to think of something else.

We are all busy. Some days, I feel like there are not enough hours in the day to accomplish everything I need to do. I sometimes think if I was as dedicated to my profession as I should be, I would spend more hours working on the mess students (and teachers) leave behind when I'm not there. I often wish I had more time to spend cleaning house and having fun with my kids.

I also am tired. What tires me most? The rants I have to read from fellow librarians/teachers/students about how unimportant the library is. Do all librarians and teachers hate their jobs? Why are they in the profession if they hate it so much? Why must the news always be bad? Why is the cup always half empty?


So here is my antidote for all the naysayers, for all those people who seem to have spilled what was left in their cups. Yes, sometimes I wish I had more time, but my cup is still closer to full than empty. My gas tank is not running on empty. My glasses are still rose-colored. "All's right with the world." Need hope, librarians? Here is a dollop: http://blog.schoollibraryjournal.com/neverendingsearch/2011/11/09/karen-bonannos-asla-speech-we-are-far-from-an-endangered-species/

Book suggestion for hopeful thoughts -- Captain Nobody by Dean Pitchford.

(Here's to the little guys and Captain Nobodys everywhere!)

No comments:

Post a Comment